Sunday, January 23, 2011

The small things

It's amazing how one statement can change your day. One thank you, one apology, one strange statement, or one statement that shouldn't have been made.

Now that I know many of the students better, or maybe now that they know me better, I am hearing things that are meaningful, comical, and out of place. I have one statement that is always pleasant to be around, he always says hello in the morning, and have a nice afternoon after school. He is a genuinely nice kid...but sometimes he is a little behind; he misses more key signatures and partials then many in the class and seems to not notice that he is doing it. He has days where he doesn't miss a note, and others where he doesn't hit a note. Although his playing is inconsistent, his mood in never changing. I've now noticed in the mornings he is almost like a shadow to one of our older students. They play the same instrument and are somewhat similar in personality. Unfortunately, I think the older student is starting to get involved with girls, so I'm worried that our younger student will be pushed away from his role model.

We also have students that are hard to read. They are in the gifted and talented program and are good students to have, although some are lazy and they tend to leave the biggest messes at lunch. They say and do some of the strangest things. They have complimented me on the jackets I've worn (corduroy sport coat, northface, rain jacket) which I thought was pretty cool, although once when I approached them for having mischievous looks on their faces they told me they liked my jacket (I wasn't wearing one). Friday, they had an old cell phone or PDA. We approached them about having it out, because the students aren't allowed to use cell phones during school hours. As we approached them, they dropped it and picked it up the screen was broken. I immediately got the joke, as the phone was very outdated and likely bought at a pawn shop. Throughout lunch they continued to destroy the phone. The previous day, another group of students were throwing gatorade caps back and forth. When both ended up on the floor, one student picked them up, as he was doing this I told him that now that he is standing, he can walk over and throw them away. I watched him go to the garbage can, and pretend to put them in while instead putting it in his mouth. I had to laugh as I reminded him that he just put a cap that had been on the floor (6th lunch, the floor isn't exactly sparkling at this time) into his mouth. The students at his table laughed at him and eventually he threw it away.

These things have been funny, or at least positive thus far. From comments on my shoes (apparently sketchers aren't big with some students here, especially when worn by teachers, I'm over it), comments on my cloths, hellos, have a nice day. However I have now had to deal with students comments that may be perceived as threatening. A student made a statement I overheard that he shouldn't have , even as a joke, said to another student. I told the student he is never to say that again, and then discussed it with my cooperating teacher. As it was right at the end of class, we decided to call the student down and I brought him to the office. I felt terrible because I knew he was joking with the other student, but those comments can't be made in a school, or to another individual anywhere. If another student was to over hear and spread this statement, trouble could arise rather quickly. I felt bad for the student even though he is likely our worst behaved student. I have gotten used to his actions, and have found ways to minimize disruptions with him. I filled out the required paperwork and the student who the statement was made to was also called down. It wasn't how I wanted to end my week, but after beginning the week with a staff meeting about bullying and communication, it was a lesson learned on my behalf.

Most of what I hear is rewarding and brings me closer to the students, however some days you just wait to get home, grab a beer, and sit on the couch listening to music and reflecting on what must have been happening with the alignment of the stars to cause the students to act so strangely. One statement has the power to change the course of life. It is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment