Monday, January 3, 2011

Student Teaching Day 1.

Where to start...Today marks the beginning of my student teaching experience in San Antonio, Texas (more to come about life in TX soon). I am student teaching in the Northside Independent School District (NISD), a district with enrollment of 94,702 students for the 2010-2011 school year. The first portion of my assignment is to be competed at Coke R. Stevenson middle school, a school of approx 1,500 grades 6-8. I am student teaching with Jim Cain, who attended the University of Texas at Austin with Dr. Grant (my saxophone professor/advisor at NMU), and Pam Trevino. Both are wonderful people to work with and have been helpful by answering any questions I may have about their program and general life in San Antonio.

My schedule is very similar to the "ideal" schedule I developed in one of my method classes. I get to school at 7:30 am, students are welcome to come in and practice, and during a typical week, each day a set group of students (by instrument) come in and perform the playing test for the week. We actually start school at 8:30 with the Pledge of Allegiance and the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of Texas. Period 1, 8:30-9:16, concert band. The concert band is made up of 7th and 8th grade students and is conducted by Ms. Trevino. Period 2, 9:21-10:07, conference. Period 3, 10:12-10:58, beginner band. The beginner band is made up of 6th grade students and students in other grades who struggle, or are new to band. The beginner band is divided into 3 class periods, 2 of which are only brass and woodwinds, which are then split with Mr. Cain taking the brass, and Ms. Trevino taking the woodwinds. Period 4, 11:03-11:58, wind ensemble. The wind ensemble is made up of 7th and 8th grade students who are able to complete the requirements for admission to the ensemble. Mr. Cain conducts the wind ensemble. Lunch/Conference, 12:03-1:28. Lunch Duty, 1:28-1:58. For lunch duty, we filter the students into seats in the cafeteria, filling all seats (12 at most tables) starting with furthest before moving to the next table. Once all students are seated, we make rounds of the cafeteria, maintaining order. The students are then "herded" outside for 5 minutes and then "herded" back inside once lunch is finished. Period 7, 2:03-2:49, beginner band. This beginner band section also contains all of the percussion students which Ms. Trevino takes, leaving a heterogeneous group of brass and woodwinds with Mr. Cain. Period 8, 2:54-3:40, beginner band.

Overall, I felt my first day went well. I did not get lost getting to school (although I took a "detour" getting home), I did not upset any teachers/administrators, no students threw anything at me, and I didn't trip over anything. During the 7:30 to 8:30 time period I was shown where I will need to sign in daily, I am also being encouraged to wear my name tag. Additionally, during this time and our 2nd period prep, I met several members of the school administration and staff, all which were very friendly and welcoming, although I must admit I do not recall every name at this point. The students were welcoming, both in class and at lunch (students I may not see in class). I now have rosters for the class so I can begin learning the students names (the ones that I can pronounce).

Thus far, I am happy with my experince, I was never as excited as I, and everyone else, thought I would/should be. I am not sure if it is because I am in a new place far away from everyone I know, of if it is because I feel as prepared as I could be, or because of my attitude; what happens, happens for a reason. What is...is. This will likely by my dryest blog (hopefully), much of the rest will be more of my thoughts and less of schedule and this is the order of events in my life.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a wonderful first day... very typical. Don't doubt your feeling that you're not "excited." I think it's because you are feeling ready for the experience... too often "excited" is confused with "anxiety" which you don't have and I'm glad you don't. Continue what you're doing. Embrace the experience... love you, Auntie Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will realize in the end how fortunate they were to be in the presence of Tony Barrette. The Upper Peninsula (and Saturday movie nights) miss you immensely! Looking forward to seeing how things go for you this semester.

    ReplyDelete